Friday, August 12, 2011

Lucky me!

Sometimes I think I am lucky to have been born in this particular time, especially when I get to hear songs like the ones below, by artists like Chitra, Sudha Ragunathan, MS and KJY.
When they say music has no boundaries or language they (whoever they were) knew what they were talking about.
But its not just the music or the singing but the composition and its simple but beautiful meaning.

For example in the first song below, Enna Thavam Seithanai, by Papanasam Sivan in Kaapi raga.

 The first charanam (stanza) goes
bhramanum indranum manadil porAmai koLLa
uralil kaTTi vAi pottik-kenjavaittAi kannanai (enna thavam..)

Which translates to something like
"Even as Lord Brahma and Indra look on with jealousy in their hearts
you have got the Lord Krishna tied, gagged and begging [...for his mischief] (oh mother! what penance you must have done)"


Enna Thavam Seithanei Yashoda (What penance you must have done, Yashoda)


Kanda naal muthalai kathal peruguthadi (Since the day I saw [Lord Muruga] my love has been increasing)


Asainthu aadum mayil (When I see a dancing peacock, it seems to be telling me that our Krishna has come)


Kurai Ondrum Illai (I don't have any problems) Sigh! MS! Need I say more


Harivarasanam By KJY (And finishing it off with Mangalam)

No comments: